Welcome to Part 2 of our “Meet the Chefs” series! We tracked down Azurea’s executive sous chef, Geoffrey Gable, who took a few minutes out of his crazy busy schedule to give us the lowdown revealing his affinity for grilled cheeses, his favorite watersport and the reason he loves to scramble eggs.
1. When did you know you wanted to be a chef?
I never thought about it at first, all through high school and a year of college I did drafting, design and architecture. Drafting went from sitting at a drafting table to sitting behind a computer. I like to be up and moving so it wasn’t for me. My parents brought up culinary school since I was cooking at a small restaurant. I went to culinary school and it felt right. I got the chance to make dishes that are artistic and also something that can make people smile bite after bite.
2. What advice would you give to someone who is new in the kitchen?
Early is on time, on time is late and late doesn’t happen.
3. What’s the best of advice you’ve ever received?
Not making a decision is making a decision. Stand behind your decision right or wrong but at least make one.
4. What’s your favorite ingredient to cook with?
Tomatoes. They bring such great flavor and color to a dish. So many different varieties and colors to choose.
5. If you had to live off of one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
6. What’s one thing someone would be surprised to learn about you?
In the past I was extremely shy and very quiet.
7. Coffee, tea or wine?
8. Have any of your travels influenced your cooking, and if so, in what ways?
Not as much my travels but where I have lived. I love to learn about the foods of the region. I want to learn the best way to make something from the people who have lived in the area their entire life.
9. Are you a social butterfly or do you prefer to stay at home and cook a comforting meal?
I love to just cook something at home with my daughter. Just watching her scramble eggs and do things for the first time amazes me.
10. Are there any chefs or cooking shows you follow that have inspired you in your culinary career? Anthony Bourdain — he is straight forward and says what’s on his mind; no filter. He finds the real, local food of an area, the small little shack with fresh ceviche or little stand with amazing fried chicken.
11. If you weren’t a chef, what would be your occupation?
Immigrations and customs enforcement officer. It’s physically and mentally challenging.
12. What do you consider to be your greatest epicurean accomplishment to date?
I feel accomplished when my cooks are successful. It shows me that the things I have taught them will be with them for the rest of their career.
13. If you were hosting a dinner party, who would be your celebrity guests? What would you serve?
I would rather get a group of service members and their families back from overseas and do a low country boil. Just to show my appreciation for people who really sacrifice.
14. What is your favorite hobby outside the kitchen?
15. What’s on your culinary bucket list? Fresh pasta in Italy, Sushi in Japan, Curry in India. Just sitting down at the mom and pop places in different countries.
16. Chocolate or Vanilla?
Book a reservation today to sample some of Chef Geoffrey’s mouthwatering cuisine at Azurea!
Here at the resort, lifestyle photography is an important element of the One Ocean experience. The Gallery at One Ocean™ provides guests an intimate, artistic cove featuring the area’s best photographers who uniquely interpret the essence of art, luxury and nature.
And guess what? That artist could be YOU! We’re on the hunt for the next photographer to feature his or her work in our exclusive on-property gallery.
For more information on how you can enter to be our next featured artist, visit The Gallery on our website. All submissions should be sent to Andy Preslar at firstname.lastname@example.org.